Durianrider’s talk last night was great, lots of controversial topics were covered, plenty of raised brows & random nervous giggles I really admire DR for his commitment to making this world a better place, admirable.
Exercise Yesterday : 38kms on bike, 7km hill run,
Today: 20kms on bike
Eats today: 5kg melon half, 3kg oranges, 10 banana smoothie
So I was thinking today – what is the biggest reason peeps don’t succeed on the low fat raw vegan lifestyle..? Personally I can unequivocally pinpoint why I fell off the raw wagon in Sept 07….here’s what happened…
I had been 100% raw for 9months when I started dating guys off RSVP (a dating site), I started to become increasingly disappointed at the fact that I couldn’t find a raw man (ahuh what are the chances?).
I was down to eating such small amounts of fruit that every cooked food smell drove me crazy! I knew I needed to eat more calories but I became secretly obsessed… I was right into my yoga at the time & most of my yogi friends ate very minimally (& this was reflected in their low energy levels), they were also keen on practicing dauhti (which was totally against my instincts & is another topic!)
At first I went back to a high fat raw diet to fill the void (calorie deficit) with fat but as a result started undereating on carbohydrates (if u are eating excess fat then u will be undereating on carbs).
….Next thing u know I’m out on a date with an ‘RSVP’er’ having baked vegies in oil & salt. I remember him saying ‘hey but you only eat raw food don’t u?’ I was like ‘ Oh yeh um… occasionally I eat cooked food…’ & then & there I confirmed it to the universe… that cooked food was on the menu again..
My true self was hungry for nutrition but my body’s survival instincts took charge & began steering me towards denser calorie sources (which just happens to be cooked food). This situation could’ve been avoided if I was simply eating enough fruit . Its not rocket science but it is science.
Now days I know how to eat enough calories & as a result I have the energy to exercise & maintain my fitness . The added bonus is that when i am fit my weight just takes care of itself !
The Symptoms I experienced as a result of undereating…maybe u can identify with some…
* Preoccupied with food, esp cooked food which took on a whole new ‘apeel’
* Always wanting to make gourmet raw meals (mimicking cooked food) & would constantly be perusing gourmet raw recipes
* Heavy legs that would scream at the thought of exercise
* I would regularly take things personally (when it was rarely about me at all)
* Had no motivation to do dynamic movement & started to question our need for high intensity exercise…became more interested in meditation (which is great but be aware this can be a sign of undereating)
* Became emotionally unstable extremely quickly & would ‘fly off the handle’ very easily
* I become a skinny fat person because I didn’t have the energy to do anything, my muscle atrophied from lack of calories & use
* I would get angry with DR when he used to run down the road after me with a banana smoothie in hand….he knew the deal.
* I had Less energy to give to others in person, I would avoid too much conversation as it drained me, every ounce of my vitality was being used just to get me through the day.
* I couldn’t muster up much passion to talk about rawfood with others or when I gave talks which resulted in a less than enthusiastic crowd.
* I started to be obsessed with the idea of breatharianism
* I became depressed & started to question the raw lifestyle & look for reasons not to do it
* My self-esteem lowered considerably as a result of my ‘under-sugared’ state, yes I even became suicidal
* I would ALWAYS end up bingeing, when I was raw- it was nuts, avo, dates. When I was cooked – pasta,choc,lollies (carbs)…after the binges I would beat myself up & think I was just undisciplined instead of identifying a calorie deficit.
* Life just wasn’t as fruity…
If u identify with any other these undereating symptoms i suggest you go to nutridiary.com & work out how many calories u need to maintain your current weight, aim for this figure with sweet juicy fruits.
At least 3000 calories for men & 2000 calories for womyn.
Ciao for now!!